EPS-HDT: Socioeconomic Profiles
Economic Profile System –
Human Dimensions Toolkit
EPS-HDT is a free, easy-to-use software application that runs in Excel, from your desktop, and produces detailed socioeconomic reports of communities, counties, states, and regions, including custom aggregations and comparisons.
EPS-HDT uses published statistics from federal data sources, including the Bureau of Economic Analysis and Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce; Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor; and others.
Windows (XP/Vista/7) with Microsoft Excel (Office 2003/07/10/13).
Mac (OS X 10.6+) with Microsoft Excel (Office 2011).
Price: Free. Download Size: 4MB.
The new Excel 2013 compatible version of EPS-HDT is now available! Click “register” to download it now.
Patricia Gude at 406.599.7425 or [email]
- Available nation-wide — any state, county, custom combination of geographies, and for the Demographics report, also sub-county.
- Updated annually with the latest data.
- Uses reliable, published government data.
- Works on PC and Mac.
Charts and Interpretation
Each report creates info-filled charts for every country in the country, with interpretive text offering insights, methodologies, and data sources.
For example (700K PDF):
Gallatin County, MT
We also offer pre-generated PDF reports for all U.S. counties.
How To Generate A Report
Register, then Download EPS-HDT from Headwaters Economics. The EPS-HDT program runs in Microsoft Excel. Once downloaded and installed, EPS-HDT will be listed as one of Excel’s Add-Ins.
To use EPS-HDT
Step 2: Click open the “EPS-HDT” pull-down menu that will appear on the left.
Step 3: Scroll to and choose the “Select Geographies” menu option.
Types of Reports
EPS-HDT can produce 14 separate reports covering:
- Two General Reports– a detailed overview report and summary version cover long-term trends for population, jobs, personal income, economic sectors, unemployment, etc.
- Six Sector Reports– examine trends in employment, wages, and proprietors for agriculture, mining and energy, services, travel and tourism, government, and timber
- Demographics– describes population, age, race, education, and income
- Non-labor income– such as transfer payments, retirement, and investment income
- Land use– examines land ownership, land cover, ownership, and residential development
- Amenities– looks at the role public lands play in providing economic benefits and attracting people, retirees, and businesses
- Development and Wildfire– for the West only, describes development of homes on lands near fire-prone public lands
- Payments from Federal Lands– federal payments county governments receive such as PILT, SRS, etc.
Sample Report Pages
- Description and Operation of EPS-HDT (0.6MB)
- Details of the 14 EPS-HDT Reports (1.9MB)
- Data Citations for each EPS-HDT Report (0.2MB)
- Filling Data Gaps in Regional Economic Information System data (0.7MB)
- Filling Data Gaps in County Business Patterns data (1.6MB)
- Sources and Methods for Federal County Payments (1.2MB)