- Headwaters Economics’ National Forest Socioeconomic Indicators Tool allows users to quickly run free, easy-to-use reports detailing economics, demographics, land use, business sectors, and other topics for communities near every National Forest.
- The Tool utilizes reports from two existing reporting tools—the Economic Profile System (EPS) and Populations at Risk (PAR)—which use the latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce, and other credible public sources to create socioeconomic profiles for any county or aggregation of counties in the country.
- Headwaters Economics also has created two interactive maps to show the range of commercial activities on National Forests—Gross Receipts as well as Timber Cut and Sold Reports—at the Forest, state, and forest region levels.
Reports Run Using the National Forest Indicators Tool
The National Forest Socioeconomic Indicators Tool is a free, web-based tool created by Headwaters Economics to help land managers, government agency planners, businesses, and others explore socioeconomic conditions in communities near every National Forest in the nation.
Users can explore local data on economics, demographics, land use, economic sectors, and other topics. Reports can be created to compare or aggregate different areas.
EPS and PAR use data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce, and other credible public sources. These tools are used by federal land managers, state and local elected officials, planners, city managers, journalists, and researchers in many fields.
For More Detailed Reports, Try These Tools for Communities Near Every National Forest
Headwaters Economics also has created two interactive maps that show commercial activities on National Forests—such as income from grazing, recreation, timber harvests, and timber cuts—at a variety of scales:
- Gross Receipts from Commercial Activities allows users to view and download data on gross receipts from all commercial activities at the National Forest, State, and National Forest Region scale for Fiscal Years 1986 to 2016.
- Timber Cut and Sold Reports allow users to view and download cut and sold data on timber volume, value, and price at the National Forest, State, and National Forest Region scale for Fiscal Years 1980 to 2016.